Books Will Never Go Out of Print!

Grab a cup of coffee. Sit back. Check out meanderings about books I've loved.

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Tosca's Christmas - Christmas Picture Books I Love


Tosca's Christmas
By Matthew Sturgis
Illustrations by Anne Mortimer
(Dial Books for Young Readers, Penguin Books, 1989)

What attracted me to this Christmas picture book ages ago when my children were young was the illustrations. That seems to be a theme for me. I adore great illustrations. What caught me next was the story about naughty Tosca, the beautiful fluffy feline who desperately tries to join Christmas festivities.

Only to be tossed outside on a cold winter's night. And who should she meet on the roof, but a jolly old soul wearing a red suit!

Matthew Sturgis creates a wonderfully explorative character in Tosca. I see my kitties in this book as I read, for they adore Christmas and at times cause just as much trouble.

Anne Mortimer has illustrated this book in such a way that it appears that we can reach out to touch and cuddle furry little Tosca.

Tosca's Christmas is a beautiful story about a cat at Christmas. Not only does it have a great story and gorgeous illustrations, this book has sentimental associations to the childhood of my children. I can still hear their little voices requesting the tale of Tosca - just one more time. Please!

Memories of a very special season. It is the most wonderful time of the year.

Reading Tip:
Curl up with a favorite stuffed animal and cozy pajamas to have the best of times when reading books with your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite book?