Books Will Never Go Out of Print!

Grab a cup of coffee. Sit back. Check out meanderings about books I've loved.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Nativity - Christmas Picture Books I Love


The Nativity
Illustrated by Julie Vivas
(Voyager Books, Harcourt, Inc., 1994)

Please. Let me wax eloquently about illustrations that I absolutely adore!

Julie Vivas has illustrated this picture book, The Nativity, so beautifully and whimsically that it is always one of my favorites to read. To myself. To my grandchildren. To students and other children.

As the text of The Nativity is composed of Scripture verses, Vivas cannot lay claim to penning the words. But all credit is given to her creative, adorable illustrations about the very first Christmas.

One of the reasons I enjoy this Christmas story version so much is that Vivas gives the characters - well - character. Delicate yet vibrant watercolor illustrations tell what is going on behind the words. And just wait until you see the page where Baby Jesus is born. And the angel sitting down to have tea with Mary. And Joseph trying to help Mary get on a donkey.

You get my drift. Look up a copy of this delightful book. The Nativity will please everyone.

Reading Tip:

Be sure to have a child-proof Nativity set available. Preschoolers and children will want to reenact the story about the birth of Jesus. I am fortunate enough to have both a crocheted one with a wooden barn, made by my mom and dad, and a self-storing resin set. Both are sturdy and loved by all the kids who place themselves in the middle of the Christmas story.

1 comment:

  1. The cover captured my attention and your post makes me want to see what's on the inside. So admire illustrators who are this gifted and link their talent to God's Word. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite book?