Books Will Never Go Out of Print!

Grab a cup of coffee. Sit back. Check out meanderings about books I've loved.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Gingerbread Baby - Christmas Picture Books


Gingerbread Baby
By Jan Brett
(Scholastic, Inc., 1999)

I love naughty characters. Meet the Gingerbread Baby. He reminds me of my kitties. Naughty but adorable and delicious.

Jan Brett works her book magic in both the story and the illustrations found in Gingerbread Baby. Borders give clues about what happens next, a feature that captivates my listeners when I am doing a read aloud. As always, I adore her detail and intricate illustrations.

One might expect the Gingerbread Baby to meet the same fate as gingerbread cookies worldwide. No spoilers here. But don't expect the expected.


Gingerbread Friends
By Jan Brett
(G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2008)

And after reading this book, look for Gingerbread Friends to find out what happens next.

In her second book about gingerbread, Brett includes the recipe for gingerbread. But instead of a one page recipe, she adds the recipe, page by page, in border illustrations. Lovely.

So get going. Make some gingerbread cookies. And follow the recipe exactly.

Or you never know what might happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite book?