Books Will Never Go Out of Print!

Grab a cup of coffee. Sit back. Check out meanderings about books I've loved.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Mastering the Art of French Eating


Mastering the Art of French Eating, Lessons in Food and Love From a Year in Paris by Ann Mah
(Viking Penguin, 2013)

One of my personally requested Christmas gifts was this new book by Ann Mah. Mastering the Art of French Eating, Lessons in Food and Love From a Year in Paris is over half read and I am in love with it.

Not necessarily the foods that she traces down (I think I can safely skip the andouillette, which is created by cooking, seasoning, and stuffing tripe into sausage type shapes), but the stories behind the foods and the history of the people and locations throughout France that specialize in each food are enticingly captivating.

Though not what I imagined when I requested this book, I am enjoying the observational narrative and the spackling of French words and their meanings. Each chapter focuses on one specific French food. Mah then goes on to search out and sample all things about that French cuisinary treat. Steak frites, crepes, salade lyonnaise, and boeuf bourguignon are but a few of her focus foods. Mah includes conversations with chefs, friends, and new acquaintances, as well as her favorite recipe for each chapter.

Reading this book is giving me a broad exposure to the many people that make up the French. Not just people living in Paris, but characters that live throughout France. As she travels and explores the different food regions, Mah gives away some of the zeal that the French have concerning food.

It's making me hungry!

Read Mastering the Art of French Eating for a lesson in how to eat like the French.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite book?