Books Will Never Go Out of Print!

Grab a cup of coffee. Sit back. Check out meanderings about books I've loved.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I Can Give - Terrific Tuesday Picture Book & KID KANDY Activity


I Can Give
By Angie Quantrell
Illustrated by Gayle Lopez
(Woman's Missionary Union, 2003)

I Can Give is the second/third book in the I Can Series (WMU Preschool Resources). I say second/third because I wrote two books at the same time - I Can Give and I Can Do It.

While challenging, and sometimes confusing, featuring a Hispanic family in I Can Give kept my brain from straying too often to I Can Do It, which features a Chinese American family.

I Can Give, colorfully illustrated by Gayle Lopez, is about Juan Carlos and his little sister, Gabriela. Juan Carlos is learning all of the different ways that we can give. With his family, he explores giving his time, energy, resources, and talents. Juan Carlos learns that giving can be about money, but is also so much more (friendship, help, flowers, and so on).

Learning how to give to others is an important character trait for young children to see and practice.

Besides being a book about giving, I Can Give is also a book about diversity. While the main story is in English, each page features a sentence in Spanish (complete with pronunciation guide). Boys and girls will enjoy both the story and learning to say some things in Spanish.

A note to parents (about giving), Bible thoughts to use with preschoolers, Bible verses for parents, and giving activities are included at the end of I Can Give.

I Can Give is available at www.wmustore.com under the Preschool Resources tab and by calling 1-800-968-7301.



KID KANDY:

Giving 4 Ways

Consider each of the following four areas in which to give. Brainstorm with your family and choose one way to give for each. Some ideas are listed to get you started. Work together to practice giving!

TIME
How can you give your time to others?

~ helping neighbors pick up trash, visiting nursing home residents, help babysit so a single-parent can have a night out

ENERGY
What ways can you use your energy to give to others?

~ play with a child who does not have a friend, help grandma clean her yard, push a baby in a stroller for a walk

TALENT
How can you use your talents to help others?

~ help wash the car, make pictures for someone who is sick, sing songs for the neighbors

RESOURCES
How can you give of your resources to help others?

~ collect money to send to hungry children, gather food items for the food bank, do chores to earn money to give to people in other countries for fresh water


Angie Quantrell enjoyed imagining Juan Carlos and his family as she wrote I Can Give. She loves helping boys and girls learn how to give and help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite book?