Books Will Never Go Out of Print!

Grab a cup of coffee. Sit back. Check out meanderings about books I've loved.

Monday, January 28, 2013

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
by Sherman Alexie (Little Brown & Company, 2007).


I didn't realize I was reading such a hot topic and controversial book when I picked up The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian at Inklings (Yakima, WA) when I used a gift card I had received for Christmas.

AFTER I finished the book, I noticed a local school district having conversations with parents about using this book with younger high school students. Ah-ha. I knew what they were talking about!

This book is a great book. Yes. It has teenage and adult themes and situations in it. The language is blunt and many times extremely colorful (not colorful as in skin color, but colorful metaphors = no longer deleted words heard on everyday TV and most movies).

But what a conversation starter. The peer and rivalry interactions could really resonate with young adults. The experiences and comparisons between on reservation and off reservation locations should cause all of us to stop and consider how the other half lives. Teen issues are well represented, clearly and often humorously.

I am somewhat familiar with the culture surrounding a reservation. Not an expert by any means, but having lived and completed high school on a reservation, this book gives much to contemplate.

Read this book, but not with or to anyone younger than high school. Be prepared to deal with real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite book?