Books Will Never Go Out of Print!

Grab a cup of coffee. Sit back. Check out meanderings about books I've loved.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

In This Mountain



Just finished In This Mountain by Jan Karon (Book 7 in the Mitford Series - somewhere I got out of order, as I need to read Book 9 next).

What a pleasant read! I love the character development so much. You can almost see what is coming with Father Tim refusing to take his medication for diabetes. The twists and turns of faith being worked out in multiple lives are very good. Karon manages to get the plan of salvation, the salvation prayer, and numerous Scripture references and direct quotes worked into the story line.

What I really enjoy is that the people in her books are people. Just normal, everyday people. While shy on cuss words, violence, and steamy sex scenes (I would say about 0, which is fine by me), true life happens. So and so comes from abusive backgrounds, mean people coexist with normal people, even evil people have a place in Mitford (but wait - evil people have a chance at reclamation, as regularly viewed during Christmas in A Christmas Carol).

Good and bad things happen in Karon's book(s). I keep waiting to read that Barnabas gets old and dies. I don't mind so much the people dying, although I like it when the author ends the books/series with most everyone intact. But when the favorite pets pass on, ouch.

Waiting for Book 9. I remember snatches of it, especially relating to certain characters, but it has been so long since I've read it, I'm not sure what happens. Joy! A brand new book! It sometimes pays to forget stuff!

I recommend this book, beginning at Book 1, all the way through Book 9.

Looks like Karon is working on prequels to Father Tim's life. I started one about going back to Holly Springs, but can't commit to it yet. Gotta finish Book 9 first.

BTW: Check this source out if you would like to trade books for the cost of postage (no charge, just postage to mail your books to other members, they mail their books to you...). I'm waiting for my Book 9 from this source.

www.paperbackswap.com (This site also includes hardback and listening volumes.)

Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite book?